What is a Business Licence?

A Business Licence is a document that gives you permission to legally operate a business within the City of Fort Saskatchewan.

Business licensing bylaws are enacted to protect public health and safety, and a Business Licence serves as a confirmation that a business complies with local laws and regulations.

Fines for operating a business without a Business Licence begin at $300.

Do I need a Business Licence?

Anyone operating a businesses within the City of Fort Saskatchewan, whether based inside or outside of the city limits, are required to obtain a Business Licence, as regulated by the Business Licence Bylaw.

Common examples:

Examples of when a business licence is required


Licence Required

Provide services or sell products online and operate from a home within Fort Saskatchewan


Contractor from outside Fort Saskatchewan hired, to perform work within Fort Saskatchewan


Operating a business for a few weeks or months a year.


Person under 18 operating a lemonade stand


Operating a garage sale for 3 consecutive days or less


What other documents do I need in order to begin operating my business?

City Documents

  • Development Permit is require for any businesses applying for a Resident Business Licence
  • Building Permit may be required for any business which will be constructing or renovating a structure
  • Confirmation of Registration, Charitable Registration Number or government authorization is required for any non-profit or charitable organizations applying for a Business Licence

Documents Required by the Province

provincial licence or registration is required for any business which are legislated by the province.  

additional permits and licences may be required for certain business activities such as

If I run a business from home, do I still need a Business Licence?

Yes.  Any business operating in the City of Fort Saskatchewan is require to obtain a Business Licence.

In addition to your Business Licence, you will require an Accessory Home Occupation Permit

If my business is based in another municipality, but I do some work in the City of Fort Saskatchewan, do I need a Business Licence?

Yes, a Non-Resident Business Licence is required by any business which operates within the City of Fort Saskatchewan, but is based outside Fort Saskatchewan's city limits.

If you are doing business in Fort Saskatchewan for less than 28 consecutive days, a daily Temporary Business Licence can be obtained.

I have a Business Licence from another municipality. Do I still need a Business Licence from the City of Fort Saskatchewan if I want to operate there?

Yes. As each municipality has different bylaws concerning how businesses operate, the City of Fort Saskatchewan requires all businesses operating within the city limits to obtain a Fort Saskatchewan Business Licence.

If I sell my business, can my Business Licence be transferred to the new owner?

Yes. A Business Licence may be transferred to a new owner at no charge. We do require that you contact the city to update the owner and business information. 

Please contact us at 780-992-6227 or email us

I operate a non-profit or charitable organization in Fort Saskatchewan. Do I need a Business Licence?

Yes. However, non-profit and charitable organizations may apply for an exemption from the Business Licence fee. In order to be eligible for an exemption, applicants will be required to submit the following:

  • Name of the organization
  • Purpose of the organization
  • Organizational structure
  • A confirmation of registration, a charity registration number or other government authorization
  • Description of  the activities that will be undertaken within the City

See the Business Licence Bylaw to see if you qualify for an exemption.

I am health professional and run a health profession in Fort Saskatchewan. Do I need a Licence?

A regulated members and businesses owned by regulated members under the Health Professions Act of the Legislature of Alberta are specifically exempt from municipal licensing with respect to the practice of their profession, if they can provide proof of:

I'm a registered member of an association under the Professional and Occupational Associations Registration Act. Do I need a Business Licence?

Registered members of an association legislated under the Professional and Occupational Associations Registration Act are specifically exempt from requiring a municipal Business Licence if they can provide proof of:

How long does it take to get a Business Licence?

Business licences applications typically take 1 to 5 days to process.

Tips for expediting your application:

  • Ensure that you have a valid Development Permit (for Resident Businesses)
  • Apply for your licence online through Cityview Portal.  

What is required in order to obtain my Business Licence?

If you are a Resident Business, you must have a Development Permit before you can be approved for a Business Licence.

In some situations, such as fee exemptions, a Resident and Non-resident businesses may asked to provide one of the following documents:

  • Trade Name/Sole Proprietorship Registration Statement
  • Partnership Registration Statement
  • Certificate of Incorporation

Where can I look up a licensed businesses in Fort Saskatchewan?

Businesses licensed to operate in Fort Saskatchewan are listed in the Business Directory

What is the difference between my business' legal name and operating name?

The legal name of a business is the name of the person or entity that owns a business. The operating name (or trade name) is the name a business uses in day-to-day activities and to advertise.  In some cases they are the same and in some cases a business will have a legal name, but operate under a different name. 

Example 1
You are a sole proprietor and your name is John Smith, and you advertise your business as ABC Framing. In this case, your legal business name is John Smith and your operating name is ABC Framing.

Example 2
Your corporation's name is 12345 Canada Inc., and the business advertises as ABC Properties. In this case, the legal business name is 12345 Canada Inc. and the operating name is ABC Properties.

Am I required to display my Business Licence publicly?

No. There is no longer a requirement to display your Business Licence publicly, however a peace officer or bylaw officer may ask that a business provide proof of a valid Business Licence.  A business is responsible for providing proof of a valid Business Licence to the officer.

How do I obtain a copy of my Business Licence?

The City does not issues hard copies of your Business Licence. To obtain an electronic copy of your licence:

Sign up or log in to Cityview Portal to access your licence and payment records online at your convenience; or

You can request a copy of your licence by emailing us. (No fees are currently charged for this services)